Today Destiny was updated, fixing the beyond frustrating loot issues that have plagued us all. This summary from Bungie.net sums it up pretty well.
"With this patch, we address some widely-discussed concerns with how Engrams are earned and claimed. Strikes have become more rewarding, and the rewards gained from them are more predictable. Also affected is the rotation of maps that appear in the Crucible."
No longer will I get an endless line of blues from the legendary engrams I would rarely get outside of the loot cave. As for the Crucible map rotation changes, prepare for the more close quarters maps to be equally as prevalent as the two vehicle based maps, Bastion and First Light, are weighted to have more the same count in rotation as their smaller brethren. Read the patch notes for update 1.0.2 below and check back for more news on future updates.
- Legendary (purple) engrams will always produce a Legendary quality item or higher
- Note: Legendary engrams that exist in your inventory will change to Rare quality items when the patch is applied. However, decoding these engrams will still produce the same results as before
- Rare (blue) engrams will always produce a Rare quality item or higher
- Chance for Legendary gear increased
- Materials: Ascendant Shards and Ascendant Energy promoted to Legendary quality (from Rare quality)
- Rare (Blue) and Legendary (Purple) Engram drops added to the potential rewards for:
- Vanguard: Tiger Strike Playlist
- Daily Heroic Missions (first time per day)
- Weekly Heroic Missions (first time per week)
- Known issues
- When selecting a higher difficulty for daily missions, XP Bonus not show in the reward display
- You will still get the XP bonus, you just won't see it in the UI
- Reduced time limit on Bastion and First Light in Control and Clash from 15 to 12 minutes, bringing them in line with non-vehicle maps in those playlists
- Lowered weighting on Bastion and First Light in Control and Clash so they appear less often in those playlists