A Whole New Ball Game: MLB.TV Arrives on PlayStation(R)3
PlayStation(R)3 Computer Entertainment System to Stream Live, High-Definition Major League Baseball Games
FOSTER CITY, Calif., April 22 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) and Major League Baseball Advanced Media (MLBAM) announced that MLB.TV, one of the largest subscription video offerings on the Internet, is available today in North America on the PlayStation®3 (PS3®), the first and only gaming console to stream live baseball games in High Definition (HD). MLB.TV subscribers can enjoy every regular season game live in HD through a combination of superior picture quality and interactive functionality delivered over the Internet, creating an unparalleled live viewing experience. The combination of the PS3 system's technical capabilities and MLBAM's pioneering live high definition streaming technology provides the necessary infrastructure to make this platform partnership the industry benchmark for streaming live HD content to the home.
"MLB.com is the perfect partner to showcase the power and potential of PS3 as an in-home platform for all types of entertainment: games, TV, movies, original content and now, live, HD access to America's favorite pastime," said Jack Tretton, president and chief operating officer, SCEA. "We are excited for our customers who don't live near their favorite team and can now see every game, and keep an eye on the rest of the league, too, as this season promises to include many record-breaking moments that they won't want to miss."
"In addition to desktops and laptops, which can be found in every American home, as well as mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets, this transaction represents another important distribution point for our fans to enjoy live baseball games via the Internet," said Kenny Gersh, senior vice president, business development, MLBAM.
With PS3 and PlayStation®Network, MLB.TV subscribers receive a superior visual and interactive experience with an array of features built and designed exclusively for use in the PS3 ecosystem. Some of the features include:
- Home and Away Feeds – Choose to watch either the home or away broadcast feed.
- Live Game DVR Functionality – Use the live video overlay to pause and rewind live games or fast-forward back to live game action.
- Scrollable Linescore – Go directly to any half-inning to watch only that portion of the game.
- MLB Scoreboard – Scrollable league-wide scoreboard for each day's games in three modes: Pre-game with scheduled starting pitchers; Live with up-to-the-minute game status; and Post-game with final pitching decisions and archived feed selection.
- Favorite Team Selection – Pick a favorite team or teams to be featured first on the daily scoreboard.
- Calendar Schedule – Scroll through the entire 2010 Major League Baseball schedule in calendar format or the user-designated favorite team's schedule.
Recognizing PS3's ability to process, stream and display live HD content, the MLB.TV offer is exclusive to PS3 owners and free to current MLB.TV subscribers who already own a PS3 system. PS3 owners have additional access to a complete home entertainment solution through PlayStation Network to enjoy high-definition games and movies, as well as listen to music, view photos, browse the Internet and more.