SCEA dishes out info on Patapon and Hot Shots Golf 5
12/11/2007 12:30:00 PM
Sony has released new information on Patapon and Hot Shots Golf 5. Patapon is a Rhythm style game for the PSP and Hot Shots Golf 5 is the latest installment in the popular golf series, but for the PS3. Check out all the details on both games after the hop:
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.
Developer: Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Studio
Platform: PSP® (PlayStation®Portable)
Launch Date: February, 2007
ESRB Rating: “RP” for Rating Pending
Developed by Sony Computer Entertainment Japan, Patapon™ is an innovative, rhythm-based 2D platform/action game exclusively for the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system. In the game, players are tasked with leading the colorful Patapons, a brave and noble tribe, through a series of epic battles against opposing armies and gigantic monsters. In a distinct gameplay twist, action and rhythm are intertwined as players utilize drumbeats to march, attack, and defend, ultimately leading the Patapon tribe to victory.
Featuring more than 20 missions in a variety of environments such as swamps, volcanos, gorges and deserts, players will outfit a Patapon army, collect resources, and grow their tribe into a devastating fighting force. Patapon presents a variety of warrior types, along with a wide selection of weapon and shield upgrades, that players will use to strategically customize and position their army as they progress through the funky adventure. Players will easily get caught up in the addictive action by collecting rare weapons and items as the adventure unfolds, and by earning more points to upgrade to new Patapons. Additionally, Patapon features five unique music-based mini-games to earn additional upgrades for the Patapon army. With vibrant character designs by popular French graphic artist, Rolito, Patapon introduces a unique, 2D art style incorporating abstract shapes, colorful environments, and larger-than-life boss enemies.
For years the Patapon tribe has lived in the desolate frontier, driven from their home by the evil Zigoton army. Behind the Patapons' cute exterior, lies a fierce warrior spirit that can only be commanded by the beat of their God’s war drum. They wait for the day that the "Almighty" will return, to lead them against their enemies and bring them back to their homeland. Finally, their wait has come to an end as the drums of war are heard once again.
• Rhythm and Action Collide – Master up to six different drumbeats to command the Patapon troops to march, attack, defend, power up, retreat, and use magic. Combine the various chains of drumbeats to address each unique level, leading the Patapons to victory over the Zigoton enemy forces.
• Strategic Gaming – Patapon delivers a strong element of strategy by requiring players to properly customize and build up the Patapon army, arm each soldier with particular weapons and armor, and position them correctly for battle.
• Mission Variety – Take part in more than 30 specific missions including hunting, escort, and boss battles, and explore numerous vivid environments along the way. Players will discover and access more than 100 items and weapons throughout the adventure.
• Unique Art Style – French graphic artist Rolito, noted for his abstract art style seen in collectible toys, animation, and websites, lends his skills to create a variety of unique characters and environments, bringing the Patapon world to life.
• Mini-Games – Five music-based mini-games allow players to earn bonuses and upgrades to further customize the Patapon warriors.
• Music – Captivating and dramatic original music builds dynamically as players march and encounter enemy battles throughout each level.
Hot Shots Golf® 5
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.
Developer: Sony Computer Entertainment Japan / Clap Hanz
Genre: Sports / Golf
Release: March 2008
Rating: “RP” for Rating Pending
Developed by Clap Hanz, in conjunction with Sony Computer Entertainment America’s Santa Monica Studios, Hot Shots Golf® 5 brings a brand new chapter of the beloved Hot Shots franchise onto PLAYSTATION®3 for the first time. Showcasing high definition graphics along with new, more accurate golf physics, Hot Shots Golf 5 offers up a new level of immersion to the franchise’s signature over-the-top visuals and pick up and play action. Hot Shots Golf 5 brings an entirely new element of gameplay control by introducing a shot system that focuses on the player’s swing instead of a power meter. Featuring more than 15 zany golfers and caddies, Hot Shots Golf 5 adds six new courses to the overall challenge, ranging from pitch-and-putt par three layouts to challenging 18-hole configurations. In addition, players will have unprecedented online access with the ability to create tournaments of up to 50 participants, and even access unique downloadable content. With vibrantly detailed courses, wacky new characters, and a wealth of online features, Hot Shots Golf 5 promises to enter the next generation strokes ahead of the competition.
• New Shot System – Focus on the swing and not a power meter. Players will closely monitor takeaway and impact zone, taking into account distance, club selection, and weather. Of course, players may still opt for the traditional shot meter if desired.
• Online Action – Customize a tournament and square off with up to 50 others, or create a match with up to eight players and follow the action of each player. Enter the online lobby and customize your character with more than 300 options including hair, masks, clothing, and numerous other entertaining options while sending messages and setting up matches.
• Larger Courses & Environments – Strategically play your next shot while taking into account the entire course. Larger playable environments let you play your errant tee shot from a neighboring hole, or take aim at a different fairway and use it as a shortcut to better align the next shot.
• Six Immaculate New Courses – Adding to the wide variety of existing courses,
Hot Shots Golf 5 introduces a set of new courses that bring players to unique and dramatic locations including links along the coast, in the desert, among the mountains, and in the woods.
• Refined Putting Stroke – A new putting stroke is in place to take player emphasis off the power meter and focus on the beautiful environments that Hot Shots Golf 5 and the PS3 deliver. The traditional putting stroke is still a selectable option.
• Crazy Characters & Caddies – Choose from 15 different playable characters and six different caddies, each with their own distinct look and characteristics that embody the fun and spirit of the Hot Shots franchise. Customize characters in a variety of clothing options, and monitor character attributes including power, control, and accuracy.
• Downloadable Content – In between rounds, head to the PlayStation Store to download exciting content including playable characters, new courses, clubs, and clothing.
• A Variety of Golf Outings – Multiple single-player and multi-player modes of play including VS Mode, Training Mode, Tournament Mode, Stroke Mode, Match Play Mode, and other challenging modes offer a diverse golfing experience for everyone.
• Extensive Stat Tracking – Hot Shots Golf 5 offers a wide range of statistical information that allows players to measure themselves versus the competition. Track game data through each round to compare skills in categories like best average score, driving distance, driving accuracy (fairways hit), greens in regulations, par pace percentage, putting accuracy, average putt length, holes-in-one, and many other stat options.