Spring is here, flowers are blooming, and the undead are once again rising up in paradise! The warm weather also seems to be bring a resurgence on the release calendar as well as things definitely pick up on the retail front. With plenty to choose from, here are the recommendations for this week:
- Dragon’s Dogma- Dark Arisen: The new version of Dragon’s Dogma is more of a huge expansion pack than a full fledged sequel (so don’t be confused) but as long as it is more of the same epic adventure you can count me in! The package includes the original release as well as a huge, brand new area, new missions, enemies, and a ton of other new content for a discounted price of $39.99. Plus, if you have a save from the original release, you will get some special bonus items to aid you in your quest. You will definitely get your money’s worth with this one!
- LEGO City Undercover- The Chase Begins: Nintendo fans are getting another original LEGO adventure this week with the release of LEGO City Undercover: the Chase Begins for the Nintendo 3DS. This is a prequel to the recently released LEGO City Undercover for the Wii U. Once again, you’re looking at a sandox-style, action adventure that will give players the ability to freely roam around LEGO City as the incomparable Chase McCain. You can sort of think of it as a LEGO version of Grand Theft Auto, minus all of the raunchy and violent content and with that patented, slapstick LEGO humor.
- Dead Island Riptide: The marquee title for this week is Dead Rising: Riptide, the direct sequel to 2011‘s zombie-apocalypse RPG Dead Island, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The game, quite literally, picks up right where the last game left off. Shortly after the survivors escaped the island of Banoi aboard a helicopter. The chopper won’t make it far and are soon forced to land on a military tanker but will soon discover that you may have been safer on the island. This is a much slower paced, zombie game which focuses heavily on character progression and scavenging for materials and supplies. Cooperative play is a major part of the experience as you can play it online with friends, where you will have to work together to survive. I put a little bit of time into the game over the weekend and can say that fans of the original will definitely find plenty to love in the new installment and Mike shared similar sentiments in his full review that went live this morning.
This week’s full lineup consists of the following:
- Black Rock Shooter: the Game for PlayStation Portable (via PSN)
- Dead Island Riptide for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC
- Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3
- Draw Slasher for PlayStation Vita (via PSN)
- God Mode for PlayStation Network
- Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R for PlayStation Vita (via PSN)
- LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins for Nintendo DS
- Monaco for Xbox Live Arcade
- Star Trek: The Game for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC
- Thomas Was Alone for PlayStation 3 and Vita via PlayStation Network (Cross Buy enabled)