Ever since I was a kid I have loved roller derby. I remember watching Roller Jam every Friday night when I was a kid and I have seen a couple of live Roller Derby matches and loved them. They are always nonstop intense action so its a wonder why after all these years we have never really had an authentic Roller Derby videogame. A game where you can create and manage your own derby team, where you can manage every aspect of the league, truly authentic Roller Derby bouts. Hopefully that will change with Power Jam: Roller Derby
which is currently seeking funding via Kickstarter
The game wants to be the most authentic Roller Derby game in the world so they have enlisted the help of various Roller Derby leagues for input and for motion capture. They also want to be as in depth as possible by diving the game into two parts. The first is where you create and manage your own team including customizing all their gear, the look and logo of the team, hiring new skaters, hiring referees, managing bouts, and plenty of other important tasks that come with managing a Roller Derby team. The second part of the game will be the actual bouts themselves where the game will use RTS game mechanics so you can control the entire team at once.
Listed below is a more in depth look at what they want the game to offer.
Power Jam: Roller Derby’s career mode puts you in control of your own derby league, or, if you just want to blow off some steam, you'll always have the option of jumping into the rink to compete in our Quick-Bout mode.
- Power Jam: Roller Derby is part management, part real time strategy game based on the sport.
- Our career mode will reflect all the aspects of running your own Roller Derby league, from the training, to the bouts and everything in between.
- You’ll be able to hand pick your own team from our roster of pre-made skaters or alternatively customise your own team using our in-depth character editor.
- The game will be developed initially for PC (Windows), Mac, Linux, Ouya and mobile platforms and localised for English, French, German, Italian, Polish, Russian and Spanish languages. With your help, we also intend to develop the game for home consoles (see stretch goals)
- The game will be distributed as a DRM-free digital download or alternatively limited boxed copies will be available.
So be sure to check out their Kickstarter page
and help them out if you are interested in an authentic Roller Derby experience.
Also be sure to check out their official website
for more information.