E3 2014: What to Expect from Sony's Press Conference
Written by John Yan
on 6/5/2014 for
Sony hit it out of the park last year with their press conference, especially with how they handled pricing and their stance on used games and sharing discs. Now that the hardware information is out of the way, it’s time to get down to games. Even with Microsoft's Kinect-less Xbox One price cut, I don’t think Sony will directly respond to that, as they are selling really well compared to the Microsoft console. So, with that, here are some things I think will happen at the Sony E3 press conference this year.
- God of War gets a mention with a new game in the series coming to the PlayStation 4.
- The next Uncharted game will also get a reveal with a nice cutscene detailing what the story will be about.
- Sony will go into more detail on Project Morpheus as they start their push into the VR realm.
- They will offer up more titles to try and get Vita sales going. As I’m not a Vita owner, I’m a little out of the loop on that handheld, but you can expect Sony to continue pushing that hardware.
- Another long trailer for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.
- Keeping the line of V games on display, Grand Theft Auto V will get a mention and a release date on the PlayStation 4.
- The Order: 1886 gets a big push.
- With its close relationship with Square, Final Fantasy XV will be teased and more of Kingdom Hearts 3 will be on display.
- Final details will be revealed for the PlayStation Now streaming service, along with pricing and an initial batch of available games.
- A slew of indie titles will be shown in a montage.
- Sony will reveal the feature for renting games from the PlayStation Store. One-day, three-day and weeklong rentals will be available.
- What’s an E3 without a new Media Molecule game? Their next offering will be shown.
- With Beyond Two Souls out of the way, Quantic Dreams will tease their first PlayStation 4 game with an intentionally obscure trailer.
- The end, I think, will be a showing of The Last Guardian with word that it will finally appear on the PlayStation 4 in 2015.
- And one more thing: The Last of Us 2.
* The product in this article was sent to us by the developer/company.
I've been reviewing products since 1997 and started out at Gaming Nexus. As one of the original writers, I was tapped to do action games and hardware. Nowadays, I work with a great group of folks on here to bring to you news and reviews on all things PC and consoles.
As for what I enjoy, I love action and survival games. I'm more of a PC gamer now than I used to be, but still enjoy the occasional console fair. Lately, I've been really playing a ton of retro games after building an arcade cabinet for myself and the kids. There's some old games I love to revisit and the cabinet really does a great job at bringing back that nostalgic feeling of going to the arcade. View Profile