If you're a regular reader you know I have a fondness for local split-screen multiplayer. While the social aspects reminded me of arcades, same-console multi also enforced some basic civility. Snot-nosed 12-year-olds were less inclined to spout off a series of epithets about their opponents' racial and sexual identity if said opponents were sitting right there and fully capable of retaliating with a hearty punch to the shoulder.
Luckily, Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon
is bringing back local co-op. The previous EDF title was a cult hit on the 360 and the new one is bringing back the arcade-style insect carnage and letting you and your buddy shred the bugs together. Local co-op, massive space-bug slaughter and a bargain price of $40? Yes please.
Earth defense force®: Insect ARmageddon™
The bugs are back in Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon, the most concentrated insect invasion the world has yet to encounter. Mankind faces the end of human civilization at the hands (or claws) of thousands of gigantic bugs unless the elite Earth Defense Force can stop them! Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon is a completely new video game developed by Vicious Cycle that expands the Earth Defense Force 2017 universe (Japanese Title “Earth Defense Force 3” developed by SANDLOT) and continues to follow the rich history of fun and addictive gameplay that makes the franchise a cult classic. Insect Armageddon is set in New Detroit and features a Campaign mode that lets up to three players team up online to battle the insects and aliens or grab a friend for local co-op action across the completely destructible city. The nonstop action gameplay in Insect Armageddon is the fastest and deadliest in the series. To arm the soldiers, players can purchase weapons or nab weapon pick-ups dropped by special enemies and can earn armor upgrades with each level gained. In addition, the game also features a six-player Survival mode that pits a human squad against a nonstop onslaught of the largest enemies the aliens have to offer. New Detroit’s giant bug problem is unavoidable, and mankind’s last hope lies with the Earth Defense Force to defend the world from the insect swarm, even if it means blowing up the entire city as part of the extermination process.
* Epic Battles Against Hordes of Insect and Giant Alien Robot Invaders – Players will face-off against non-stop swarms of attackers ranging from giant ants and spiders to robots standing more than 100 meters tall for the most outrageously destructive battles ever seen before.
* Online and Local Co-op Campaign Mode – Players can jump into Campaign mode via online co-op or grab a friend and work together to battle through the alien and insect swarms for world supremacy!
* Over 300 Weapons and Four Upgradeable Armor Types – Battle alongside an EDF squad through New Detroit armed with four upgradeable armor types and over 300 unique weapons including assault rifles, rocket launchers, energy weapons, sniper rifles and grenade launchers to repel the bug infestation from all enemy fronts.
* Completely Destructible Environments – Do whatever it takes to defend the earth. Use mortars and grenades to tear down entire city blocks from skyscrapers down to hot dog stands as you try to keep the insect invasion from infesting New Detroit.
* Six-Player Online Survival Mode Multiplayer Battle – Be victorious in an all-out fight to the finish in Survival Mode where up to six players are deployed to clash against an endless swarm of enemies that gets tougher with each wave.
Developer: Vicious Cycle Software, Inc.
Release Date: Spring 2011
Platform: Xbox 360® game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system.
Suggested Retail Price: $39.95
ESRB Rating: “RP” (“Rating Pending”)