Whether it's New Super Mario Bros
, Brain Age
, or the DS Lite itself, Nintendo's going gangbusters with all things DS. The new Lite is outpacing the Game Boy Advance SP by more than 12 percent while games like Brain Age
coming in with increased sales. I admit, I like the little handheld more than I thought I would and enjoy the daily ritual of training my brain.
Nintendo DS Continues to Dominate Portable Video Games
With two of the nation's top-selling games and a hot new look to the
hardware, the global Nintendo DS phenomenon has become more popular than
ever. New Super Mario Bros.(R) and Brain Age(TM): Train Your Brain in Minutes
a Day for Nintendo DS(TM) ranked as the No. 1 and No. 3 best-selling games of
May, according to the independent NPD Group. And early reports from major
retailers indicate that those same titles are being scooped up with the new
Nintendo DS(TM) Lite in advance of Father's Day.
* After going on sale May 15, New Super Mario Bros. sold at a nonstop rate
of roughly one every four seconds nationwide during the reporting period.
* New Super Mario Bros. emerged as the No. 1 game of the month, even
though it was in stores for just 13 days of the four-week reporting
DS Lite Shines Bright:
* Just two days after Nintendo DS Lite went on sale in the United States
on June 11, the new lighter, brighter portable system sold more than
136,500 units, with many retail outlets reporting sellouts.
* By comparison, DS Lite is outpacing 2003's launch sales of Nintendo's
juggernaut Game Boy(R) Advance SP by more than 12 percent.
* Major retailers report that sales of Brain Age: Train Your Brain in
Minutes a Day tripled over the previous week.
* Retailers also report that New Super Mario Bros.(R) sales doubled over
the previous week.