is a turn-based strategy game inspired by a concept from BBC. It contains more than 30 battles from around the globe. With a powerful mission and scenario editor as well as a server-based "Play by E-mail" system, this one should appeal to many wargamers. It boasts ambushes, flame throwers, suppression, airstrikes, and more. You units even gain experience as they fight.
More details are here
where you can also purchase the game.
Battlefield Academy releases !
Revolutionary turn-based strategy game now available for download
Epsom, 5th August 2010
It is finally here.
Long anticipated turn-based strategy game Battlefield Academy is now available for download from Slitherine (www.slitherine.com) and Matrix Games (www.matrixgames.com) online stores.
Approachable, absorbing and visually impressive yet detailed, Battlefield Academy aims to revolutionize the strategy games market with a blend of intuitive design and compelling game play driven by cutting edge technical innovation.
Inspired by an original online game concept devised by the BBC, the game has more than 30 battles in a range of theatres of war from the North African desert through D-Day to the to the snowy Ardennes mountains where the Allies battled to repel the final German offensive.
The team at Slitherine worked with Professor John Buckley, Military Historian at the University of Wolverhampton and a keen wargamer himself, to make sure that the strategy, tactics, scenarios and available firepower of the battles fought in WW2 were turned into realistic AI behaviour, powering expertly crafted battles.
The game engine is also completely script-driven, allowing players to create their own missions and scenario in a simple and effective way.
The revolutionary server-based Play by E-Mail Slitherine system completes the package, for a gaming experience that will certainly please both hard core wargamers and newcomers.
The beta test team have enjoyed the experience so much they have already started creating scenarios and mods and are eager to meet new blood on the multiplayer server. The have really been bitten by the bug and are helping spread the word and grow the community.
· Control British, US, Polish, Canadian forces in 3 epic campaigns covering more than 30 varied battles or take control of Italian and German forces in multiplayer.
· Select from a vast array of equipment including 100 units from 6 nations - Shermans, Fireflys, Panthers, Tigers, Stukas, Hurricanes, P47s and much more!
· Gameplay features include ambushes, line of sight, artillery barrages, airstrikes, scouts, morale, APCs, flame throwers, heavy bombers, snipers and suppression.
· Your units gain experience as they fight. Get promoted to Veteran and Elite status and gain new skills.
· Addictive multiplayer modes using Slitherine’s revolutionary multiplayer server that’s linked into an online ranking system.
· Huge modding opportunities. The game has been designed so that it’s easily moddable and accessible scripts control all aspects of combat, user interface and the game's appearance.
To request a review code for the game, please contact Sean Drummy – firstname.lastname@example.orgFor assets and further information, email@example.com
Notes to editor
· Inspired by an original online game concept devised by the BBC © BBC 2004, Battlefield Academy uses the BBC logo under licence from BBC commercial licensing.
It does not relate to any current BBC programming.
· The BBC originally developed a simple flash-based game to support the television series Battlefield Britain in 2004. Since developed extensively by Slitherine, the original game gave viewers a chance to learn about military strategy.