The last mouse by Microsoft that we reviewed
was the Microsoft SideWinder Mouse
which I found to be an OK product. Today they are announcing the SideWinder X5 Mouse
which looks awfully similiar to the previous one. It's a 2000 DPI mouse, the same as the regular SideWinder Mouse
. There are five programmable buttons with nine buttons in all. I guess I'll have to see it in person what the X5
has that's different than the SideWinder Mouse
What: The Microsoft SideWinder X5 Mouse joins the SideWinder family of gaming products as the perfect choice for mainstream gamers looking for a competitive edge. This fast, durable, nine-button gaming mouse is designed for gamers with vertical side buttons, five customizable buttons, and a Quick-Launch button that offers one-touch access to the Windows Vista Games Explorer.1 The 2000 DPI laser tracking engine allows gamers to choose from six DPI settings and instantly switch between high, medium and low sensitivity with one click — in-game, any time. The comfortable shape designed for gaming offers superb handling and control, while the wide rubber scroll wheel offers better response with detent clicking action.
Format: The SideWinder X5 Mouse operates on the Windows Vista and Windows XP operating systems and connects directly to a Universal Serial Bus (USB) port.
And Benefits: • 2000 DPI laser tracking engine with on-the-fly DPI switching allows gamers to choose from six DPI settings and instantly switch between high, medium and low sensitivity with one click.
• The Quick-Launch button gives one-touch access to Windows Vista Games Explorer, allowing gamers to quickly see the games in their PC’s game library.
• The Quick Turn feature, a performance-enhancing macro, is built into the software and lets users check their perimeter from wherever they are in the game with the click of a button.
• Vertical metal side buttons make locating the side buttons easier and reduce inadvertent actuation.
• Five programmable main buttons can be programmed to fit gamers’ personal preferences.
• Unique ergonomic-inspired shape is designed for quick, balanced, comfortable and precise gaming action.
• Macro recording lets gamers create and assign macros out-of-game using the included software.
• Speeds and feeds: full-speed USB
Resolution: 2000 DPI laser
Image processing: 7,080 frames per second
Maximum acceleration: 20 G
Maximum speed: 45-plus inches per second
USB reporting: Full-speed, 500 Hz
Buttons (Left/Right): Rated to 10 million clicks
Requirements: To use the SideWinder X5 Mouse, gamers must accept the enclosed License Agreement during software setup before they can use the software accompanying the mouse. Gamers also need the following:
• A PC that meets the requirements for and has installed one of these operating systems: Windows Vista or Windows XP
• 100 MB of available hard disk space
• An available powered USB port
• CD drive
• Internet access required for software installation
And Pricing: Microsoft SideWinder X5 Mouse will be widely available in September 2008 for an estimated retail price of $59.95 (U.S.).2 The SideWinder X5 Mouse is now available for special pre-sale on Amazon.com and will ship in September when the product is widely released.
The SideWinder X5 Mouse is backed by a worldwide three-year limited hardware warranty. Limited warranty and License Agreement are available at http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/warranty.