In what may be a real-time strategic move to take some of the wind out of Demigod
's launch this week, Mythic released a singleplayer Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II
demo. (You can find it on the usual channels like FileFront and FilePlanet.)
In the demo, you'll be putting boots on the ground with the elite Space Marines, and stomping on the heretic Eldar, pillaging Orks, and ravaging Tyranid forces. The full game -- should you make the leap -- is all about front-line combat, destructible environments, fully cooperative multiplayer mode, all four races are playable, and the non-linear singleplayer campaign packs branching storylines. And if Tyler has any say in the matter, this is an RTS you don't want to miss
. (As opposed to Red Alert 3: Uprising
, which you won't mind missing. Review coming soon.)
In related news, patch 1.2.1 for Dawn of War II
is out, and we've got the notes. A new 6-person team battle map has been added, fixes implemented for the population cap, Tyranid Warrior's Adrenal Gland upgrade has been nerfed, and plenty more.
WARHAMMER® 40,000™: DAWN OF WAR® II
SINGLE PLAYER DEMO NOW AVAILABLE –
RELIC RELEASES PATCH FEATURING NEW MULTIPLAYER MAP
April 15, 2009 -- THQ Inc. today announced that a free single player demo for Warhammer® 40,000™: Dawn of War® II, the award winning Real-time strategy (RTS) game from Relic Entertainment, is now available. The demo, available online through all major download sites, places gamers in the role of elite Space Marines engaged in furious combat across the dark recesses of space, battling the heretic Eldar, the pillaging Orks, and the ravaging Tyranid threats.
In addition, Relic recently released patch 1.2.1 which features a number of gameplay improvements and a new multiplayer map. A full list of updates can be found below.
Warhammer® 40,000™: Dawn of War® II, developed by THQ's internal studio, Relic Entertainment, is a Real-time strategy (RTS) game set in the grim, war-ravaged world of Games Workshop’s Warhammer 40,000 science fiction universe. Featuring vicious front-line combat, destructible environments, a fully cooperative multiplayer mode, four unique playable races, and a non-linear single player campaign with branching storylines, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II delivers the ultimate sci-fi fantasy RTS experience for Windows PC. The game is now available worldwide through retail and online outlets. For more information on Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II, please visit www.dawnofwar2.com.
Patch 1.2.1 – automatically downloads during Steam authentication
· New Team Battle map added! "(6p) Tiber Outpost" is now available for play.
· Implemented final fixes for the Population Cap issue as noted in Patch 1.1.3. This included reverting the temporary changes made in Patch 1.1.3.
· Tyranid Warrior Adrenal Gland upgrade damage reduced from 52 to 40
· Energy Shields no longer regenerate while active – This includes the Zoanthrope, Falcon, Hive Tyrant, Warlock, Force Commander, Mekboy and Techmarine
· Energy Shield conversion modifier reduced from .2 to .25
· Energy Shields now have an 8 second toggle on / toggle off time.
· Falcon Energy regeneration reduced from 3 to .5
· Melee damage reduction versus Rippers reduced from .25 to .3
· Zoanthrope Focus Blast now immobilizes vehicles for 12 seconds from 15
· Guardian Battle Equipment cost increased to 50/15 from 40/10
· Carnifex cost increased to 600/135 from 550/125
· Tactical Sergeant's melee special attack reduced to 28 from 50
· "And They Shall Know No Fear" now debuffs Tactical Marine melee damage by .6
· Spore Mines can no longer enter Ravener Tunnels and Webway Gates
· Warp Spider deathspinner damage increased from 20 to 30
· Warp Spider Exarch dual deathspinner damage increased from 30 to 35
· Fixed an issue where campaign completion achievements were sometimes not awarded
Ranking and Online Stats
· Fixed an issue where players were awarded a win in Ranked multiplayer matches after modifying local files.
· Fixed an issue with automatching code to help provide better quality matches based on TrueSkill™ Rankings.
· Fixed an issue allowing players with mismatched data to be grouped together.
· Updated BugSplat error reporting to new version.