Looks like Andre Benjamin (a.k.a. Andre 3000 of OutKast) is taking another giant leap toward cultural iconhood. While Andre 3000 is
typically a very animated individual, he's received a literal animation makeover in Cartoon Network's Class of 3000
. And Cartoon Network is making this their most thorough cross-platform offering to date: Online sneak previews, streaming episodes, ringtones, and an online game where kids scratch and rap their own music together. Class of 3000
debuts Friday, Nov. 3 at 8 p.m.
Class of 3000 Multiplatform Initiatives Announced by Cartoon Network
Forthcoming André "3000" Benjamin Animated Series Inspires Content Online, On-Air and for Mobile Devices...
and a Chance to Make Your Own Song
With the launch of Class of 3000, the music-driven animated comedy from André "3000" Benjamin (OutKast) and Tom Lynch (Romeo!), Cartoon Network will showcase its most thorough cross-platform effort to date. Content ranges from online sneak previews and streaming episodes to ringtones and an online game where kids can produce their own music, just like André's cartoon character, Sunny Bridges.
"In Class of 3000, we have a show that is perfectly suited to a massive multimedia rollout, and that's exactly what we'll be doing," said Jim Samples, executive vice president and general manager, Cartoon Network. "From exclusive behind-the-scenes footage of the show to streaming full-length episodes, not to mention downloadable songs, ringtones and podcasts, we're making sure that Class of 3000 has compelling offerings on every available platform."
Class of 3000 is Cartoon Network's new animated comedy series that will debut on Friday, Nov. 3 at 8 p.m. The series was co-created by André Benjamin and Tom Lynch and focuses on a musical superstar, played by Benjamin, who leaves fame and fortune behind to teach at a prestigious music school in Atlanta.
· Classof3000.com: This site is the home for everything related to the new series co-created by André Benjamin and Tom Lynch. Visitors to this section can learn more about all
the main characters, like Sunny Bridges and Li'l D, as well as download instant messenger icons and wallpapers. Classof3000.com also includes a complete episode guide
programming information, activities, downloadable content and links to streaming behind-the-scenes and video and full-length episodes of Class of 3000.
- Class of 3000 Funk Box: Class of 3000 is all about making music, so Cartoon Network New Media has developed the Class of 3000 Funk Box. This online activity, available on Classof3000.com beginning October 23, will allow kids to create their very own songs by dragging numerous musical samples onto tracks and hearing them played back. The activity will feature all key characters and begin to correlate them to the instruments they play on the show. Kids are encouraged to save their songs along the way for later retrieval and/or editing.
- Video-on-Demand: Full-length episodes of Class of 3000 will be available via major cable companies' on-demand service starting immediately after its Nov. 3 premiere. Also available for viewing will be the Sunny Bridges mockumentary, "Sunny Bridges: From Bankhead to Buckhead."
- Podcasts: Cartoon Network New Media is developing a series of podcasts available for free download via Class of 3000.com. Andre Benjamin, the cast and crew discuss the art, music and style of Class of 3000, plus exclusive footage of voice sessions. New podcasts will be available each week beginning Nov. 6.
- Mobile Content: Through the major national services, minute-long clips of Class of 3000 will be available beginning Oct. 30.
- Ringtones: Just like Sunny Bridges, Lil'D and the rest of the Westley crew, Cartoon Network is sharing the music through free mobile phone downloads of the Class of 3000 theme song, available beginning Nov. 3.
- Digital Downloads: Through Cartoon Network's partnership with the major digital entertainment online stores, individual episodes will be available for purchase after they air on Cartoon Network.
Class of 3000, the highly anticipated primetime half-hour animated series created and executive produced by André Benjamin (OutKast) and Tom Lynch (Romeo!), focuses on a group of musically-gifted kids and an unlikely visitor who brings sunshine to their lives. The students attend the prestigious Westley School of the Performing Arts in Atlanta. They all come from different parts of the city and all walks of life. The students' common link is that they are all musical prodigies. But their lives change when Sunny Bridges, who attended the school as a kid and has gone on to international superstardom, returns to Westley looking for something he lost.
In addition to his creative responsibilities, including production and writing contributions, voice and music direction, André Benjamin will also lend his voice to the lead character, Sunny Bridges.
Also part of the cast of Class of 3000, are veteran voice actors Tom Kenny (SpongeBob SquarePants, Camp Lazlo), Crystal Scales (Static Shock, The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron), Jennifer Hale (Samurai Jack, The Powerpuff Girls), Janice Kawaye (Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi) and Jeff Glen Bennett (Johnny Bravo, Camp Lazlo).
Cartoon Network (CartoonNetwork.com), currently seen in nearly 91 million U.S. homes and 160 countries around the world, is Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.'s ad-supported cable service offering the best in original, acquired and classic animated entertainment for kids and families. Overnight from 11 p.m.-6 a.m. (ET, PT) Sunday-Thursday, Cartoon Network shares its channel space with Adult Swim, a late-night destination showcasing original and acquired animation for young adults 18-34.
Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time Warner company, is a major producer of news and entertainment product around the world and the leading provider of programming for the basic cable industry.